Qual Blog

Friday, September 08, 2006

before class post

The Goat in the Grey Fedora was a game. There was a set purpose to what the detective was doing and the different locations around town almost served as "levels". You were in control of the interactions that the detective had and you needed to come up with the right responses to get the information you needed. It had really good music while it was loading, too.

Endora's Dream was not a game. It was more of an activity. There was not overall point to the website; no way to win or advance. It was merely changing aspects about Darren's face for your own amusement.

I could not figure out mini-zork for the life of me. Even though there were directions and then instructions on how to "move", I could not get it to work. From what I could tell, even though there were no graphics, there was the possibility for it to be a game, if what you told the program to do had an overall point and you could advance or win. It wasn't nearly as fun to play around with because I felt like I was just trying to enter code into a computer and not actually play a game.

Pash was a very interesting game. you had control over where you character went and what she picked up and who she spoke to. I think Pash was a game for those reasons and also because it was leading up to solving the "problem" of the story line.... getting the night club back. What was really cool about this game was how the different locations were pictures of actual real-life places. This game also allowed you to control your character's dialogue and thus the outcome of what the other characters in the game responded.

While Mr. Picassohead was fun, I do not think it was a game. Even though the overall purpose was to "paint" a head, it didn't really matter what you did and you could decided to be finished whenever you wanted without really accomplishing anything. This was certainly more of an activity than anything else.

A videogame to me is any game played on either a console, computer, or arcade like machine, that has a set purpose and that purpose can be acheived, allowing the gamer to advance or to win the game.
My definition is different than the article "Death to Videogames" in that I don't really feel as though only games that actually contain the element of video should be called videogames. I think at this point, the word videogame is so engrained in our culture as any electronic game that is viewed on some type of screen, that there is no point in trying to reverse the use of the word. What I did find it interesting though, is how it is true that words like "video game" get translated into "videogame" without any real reason.
I think my definition is very similar to that of the author's in "A Short and Simple Definition of What a Videogame is." I agree with his simplistic definition and generalization. Videogames encompass such a large range of games that it is often better to simply group these games together based on genre or type of play or something. I also liked how the author discussed the need for quantifiable outcomes and conflict for the "activity" to actually become a game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home